Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Beginning of the Weight Loss Journey

Hi, I'm Meg. I'm a lot of things besides overweight, but sometimes that is the all-consuming thought.

This will serve as my before picture:

Yeah, not so much. Let's try that again (see right) I knew, of course, I was overweight. I have had a scale phobia for most of my life, ever since that lovely practice, in elementary school, of having to stand in a line at the scale and the nurse would say your weight out loud. Everyone would of course compare weights afterwards. I wasn't even a heavy kid, but it felt humiliating, nonetheless. I even felt a strange sense of malicious glee on behalf of the PTA mom whose daughter was 10 pounds less than I was. When you're only 4'9", that's a significant difference, after all.

Anyway, fast forward about 18 years into the future.

How did I get overweight? Easy. A few years ago, I had a period of unemployment, and I am a notorious boredom snacker. Bored? A frozen Trader Joe's pizza would suit me just fine. Nothing to do? Don't mind if I *do* order takeout. In short order, I gained something along the lines of 50 pounds (like I said, no scale was around, so I don't know the precise poundage gain). I kept steadily gaining, gaining, gaining. I would try brief diets on my own, but of course, diets are useless. Shocking, right? I'm here to tell you that you can't think of what you put in your mouth hole as a temporary "diet," it's a lifestyle change you have to make.

Right now, my sights are set on getting down to my goal weight by 12 months — that would be 155 pounds. I'm 5'9" Right now I'm 2** pounds, and looking forward to dropping the weight until I reach "Onederland," AKA being in the 100s again and never looking back!

More later. Recipes and tips to come in this blog, so tune in regularly if this sort of topic intrigues you.
-Meg

1 comment:

  1. Go for it Meg! When you get the urge to snack go for walk outside or drink some water.

    ReplyDelete